Over the years, brass-driven band the Magnetic Ear has marched so far from its point of origin that it’s a wonder bandleader saxophonist Martin Krusche doesn’t change the group’s name. “At first we were known as sort of a jazz freak-out band,” admits Krusche. But even then, the Magnetic Ear’s music was much more composed and arranged-seeming than the average jazz group. The band followed Krusche’s long, wild melody lines so tightly you could tell they weren’t just improvising…
- Article plus unpublished Q&A with Daryl Hall (Gambit Weekly. April 2013).
- Article plus unpublished Q&A w/New Orleans rapper 3D Na’Tee (VICE. April 2013)
- Unpublished Q&A with Alicia Keys (links to Gambit Weekly article. 2013).
- Neither Big Nor Easy: “Someone Stole My Students’ Music Writing” (VICE. March 2013).
- Neither Big Nor Easy: “New Orleans War On Music” (VICE. 2013).